We’ve found new friends! Catholics Democrats are following us on Twitter – and we in turn are following them! Please check out their website here – and notice the bannerhead “Catholics for Obama.” Also read this article here that details their efforts.
When you find a new friend it is usually because you both have something in common – and I mean something beyond the Blake Edward’s film, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, although for some people that’s enough to keep a relationship together. I read this week that Mitt Romney has a penchant for Cherry Coke Zero and McDonald’s pancakes, and I was floored because those (and brown paper packages) are two of my favorite things as well. So now, beyond our common religious affiliation, Romney and I share Cherry Zero and MacDoughs, and this is no small thing for me… especially because I’m trying to distance myself from Romney as the election draws closer.
But I am moving forward. And to further this effort, I am giving up Cherry Zero until the election (and I hardly eat McDonald’s pancakes anyway; you have to be there by 11 am on Saturday before the switch to lunch, and that is way too early.) So instead, I am taking up Obama’s favorite drink, which is… oh wait… black forest berry iced tea. That might pose a problem.
Well, no matter – I found 50 Facts You Might Not Know About Obama, and I’ve already discovered 8 things we have in common:
1) I have read every Harry Potter book also (and then turned around and listened to them all on CD.)
2) I too have eaten dog, snake, and grasshoppers – and found them all to taste like meat.
3) I sometimes try to write with my left hand (when disguising my handwriting for ransom notes.)
4) I also like Casablanca and One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (but edited for television only.)
5) I like Scrabble too. (Qat is my favorite word, because I don’t like u.)
6) Like Obama, I don’t drink coffee and rarely drink alcohol (only in cough syrup and desserts – but mostly it cooks out.)
7) I’ve read the dedication page for Moby Dick; (it’s written for Nathaniel Hawthorne – before Nathaniel unfriended Herman on Facebook for posting too much political stuff.)
8) The Wire.
And I will add one more thing to my list that wasn’t included in the article: Me and the President will be voting for the same candidate in November. That is some common ground to start from.